Built in 1865 as the Foxley Bank Hydro.During the Edwardian
peroid the building became a very upmarket hotel.The idea that people would
come to sample the spa water and enjoy the country air.In theory creating
a rural Harrogate.But this never really caught on and by the 1920's the hotel
came into financial problems.The hotel closed and then opened as a caring
orphanage run by Sister Ella Curnock.During wartime the orphanage housed children
from all over Europe.Finally in 1949 Riversmead opened as a school which it
is to this day.These series of photographs were taken when it was an orphanage.The
above photograph showing the old front of the building.
Some children enjoying the country air.